Partition cancelled accidentaly.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dasweeed, Jan 4, 2010.

1. dasweeed macrumors newbie

I have run into a problem during partitioning. I was partitioning my HD using bootcamp and accidentallly folded together my macbookpro. ( not answer to why.. :confused:) After that i opened it and it had frozen together. After restarting my computer and attempting it again i get this message "This disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." Firstly. I cant find the 40gig that was supposed to be partitioned, and i cant find it using disk utility. Secondly there is that message. I dont quiet understand what im supposed to do. There is only one partition on my mac.
    When i try and verify my disk using disk utility i get this error message:
    Disk utility stopped veryfying "hardrive"
    This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk. Does that mean i have to format the entire computer or do i just need to format it and restore it to factory settings?
    (the details of veryfying disk also said "The volume "hardrive" was found to be corrupt and needs to be repaired".
    So basicly: How do i find that 40 gig that seems to be nowhere. and how do i fix that message im getting so i can install windows on my mac.
    Have i totaly messed it up by cancelling a partition? what steps should i take to fix it. ( i have apple care thingy so i have 3 years of guarantee if its needed.)

2. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Pop in your leopard or snow leopard disk. Click English or whatver applies to you, choose utilities>disk utility from the menu. Choose your mac partition and click repair disk. Wait a few minutes and hope it fixed everything. If not, you might just need to back up your data and reinstall the OS.