Partition Confusion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lifemaximum, Jun 7, 2008.

1. lifemaximum macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Recently I have been playing around with Partitioning wanted to do a Triple booting on MacBook , with Ubuntu , Windows and OSX, however I decided not to do it , since I found it to be quite useless , anyway when I installed Ubuntu and all, I had to create new partitions, so later on using disk Utility i deleted all those partition.

Now I have like 6 Gb which is not recognized by Macintosh partition it is free space, and I also got around 306Mb a partition called SWAP LINUX , and I have been trying to remove it ,erase it, format it , zeroing it out, nothing works.

and I tried Boot Camp , it doesn't work also. Any other software i can get that help me out with this?
    How can I restore my Macintosh partition to previous state,??:confused:

2. ruskiwi macrumors member

Have you tried fixing it from Disk Utility starting up from the OS X install CD/DVD?

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Using Disk Utility to partition your internal HD will erase the contents of the internal HD.

You can try iPartition.

Or you could clone the Mac partition of the internal HD to an external drive. Then reformat the internal HD using Disk Utilities (boot from the install DVD). Then reverse clone the external back to your Mac HD.

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper to clone your HD.

4. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Go into Disk Utility and click on the hard drive in the left pane. Click on Partition on the top menu bar. You will see a screen with your hard drive and partitions. The hard drive "window" (in the middle of the screen) will show your OSX partition at the top of the window and there should be another partition below (or maybe two partitions as you said you had one called SWAP LINUX so this will show up) it may either says Ubuntu or maybe nothing at all depending on what you named it. Click on this partition so it's highlighted and at the bottom click on the - (minus) button. This will erase this partition and you will end up with one single OSX partition. Make sure you select the right partition as you may wipe out your OS (if this is indeed possible - Apple may have some means of not letting you do this but I'm not going to test it on my machine).
    Alan

Sorry :eek: I just reread your post and I see that maybe you have already done what I suggested. I did this on an external drive and it worked like a charm. I'm not sure why it's not letting you do this.

5. ruskiwi macrumors member

Not true. I used it last week (from the Leopard install DVD) to make a new partition for Windows, and it didn't erase my OS X install. You have to click the add button instead of using the volume setup dropdown menu.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks, I will have to give that a try. :)

I do know that from the drop down menu, it will erase your volume and warns you that this will happen.