Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SanderH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
Ok so here it goes.

The situation I'm in is pretty akward and it's quite a long story but I'll try my best to explain everything.

This afternoon I went to a friend's house to transfer some data to my external hard drive (MyBook Studio).
Since my HD is formatted as HFS+ and my mate owns a Windows PC, I'd asked him to install MacDrive.

When we plugged in my HD, Windows just didn't detect it. We tried all sorts of things, including rebooting.. but nothing seemed to help. No matter what we did. The damn thing just didn't detect my hard drive. Not even with MacDrive.

I desperately wanted to transfer some data to my HD since I'd drove quite a while to get there. So after a bit of Google research we decided to create a partition. My HD has a capacity of 1 TB and only about half of it was being used.
So we went on and created a NTFS partition of 400 GB. Now Windows could detect the partition we'd just made.

Everything went fine, we could now transfer some data to my HD.
Nevertheless.. when I got home and connected my HD to my Macbook Pro, Finder could only see the partition which we formatted as NTFS. The other 600 GB, which we hadn't touched.. is nowhere to be found.

There's quite a lot of important data on there so I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me.

Thanks in advance.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Ok so here it goes.

The situation I'm in is pretty akward and it's quite a long story but I'll try my best to explain everything.

This afternoon I went to a friend's house to transfer some data to my external hard drive (MyBook Studio).
Since my HD is formatted as HFS+ and my mate owns a Windows PC, I'd asked him to install MacDrive.

When we plugged in my HD, Windows just didn't detect it. We tried all sorts of things, including rebooting.. but nothing seemed to help. No matter what we did. The damn thing just didn't detect my hard drive. Not even with MacDrive.

I desperately wanted to transfer some data to my HD since I'd drove quite a while to get there. So after a bit of Google research we decided to create a partition. My HD has a capacity of 1 TB and only about half of it was being used.
So we went on and created a NTFS partition of 400 GB. Now Windows could detect the partition we'd just made.

Nevertheless.. when I got home and connected my HD to my Macbook Pro, Finder could only see the partition which we formatted as NTFS. The other 600 GB, which we hadn't touched.. is nowhere to be found.

There's quite a lot of important data on there so I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me.

Thanks in advance.

? http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/datarescueii.html ?

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Ok so here it goes.

Thanks in advance.
When you created the NTSF partition, you most likely erased the HFS partition.

SanderH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
When you created the NTSF partition, you most likely erased the HFS partition.

I really doubt it, there was like 400 GB of data on there.

It just took a couple of seconds to create the NTFS partition. If it would have erased everything it should've taken a lot longer.. no?

msheldrick

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
Not if it was a Quick Format... also, what shows up in Disk Utility under the Partition Tab

disk_utility_partition.png

It should look something like this

SanderH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
Just did a scan with Data Rescue. Didn't find anything..

Think I'll just have to accept it's gone. Now how can I get my 1 TB capacity back? Since it only shows the NTFS partition I made?

Reformat all over :(?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE:partition disappeared

"Just did a scan with Data Rescue. Didn't find anything.."

Did you choose to do a quick scan, or a more comprehensive one?

A full scan might take several hours, maybe longer.

Data Rescue isn't the only recovery tool out there. There are others to try, as well.

But I've heard reports from folks who say that DR worked when EVERYthing else failed.

Look into DR more closely, before you give up on it.

SanderH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
"Just did a scan with Data Rescue. Didn't find anything.."

Did you choose to do a quick scan, or a more comprehensive one?

A full scan might take several hours, maybe longer.

Data Rescue isn't the only recovery tool out there. There are others to try, as well.

But I've heard reports from folks who say that DR worked when EVERYthing else failed.

Look into DR more closely, before you give up on it.

I obviously did a thorough scan. It took me 5 hours, and it did find some files, but not the ones that were on the partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.