Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sudz705

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Hello,
I have read through several threads on here and found out the processes needed to format the external for use with Time Machine. What I need help with is the ability to keep the data already stored on the external in tact while creating the partition for Time Machine. Right now the WD 1.5 TB HD is all NTFS and I read/write using the application 'NTFS for MacOSX". Currently the drive contains about 700gb of data that I want to keep in place and not corrupt, while creating another partition of about 150gb for a time machine back-up so I can format my Macbook then have all my applications and settings in place. I have already copied relevant data/ files that I need, I just want my setting preserved through the formatting. Is there a way I can partition the 150gb for the Time Machine, while still preserving the integrity of the rest of the drive?

Hopefully you can be of some help. If this exact problem has been adressed before I apologize, I could not find it with a search. Thank you for your time!

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I think you asked the wrong question, which should be
Is there a way I can partition the 150gb for the Time Machine, while still safely preserving the integrity of the rest of the drive?

... and I believe the answer to that is "no, not safely", because even if you can find an app that will let you repartition the drive into two and shrink the NTFS partition in place and then create a Mac partition, you will always be advised to make a backup before doing that.

Can you borrow a drive from someone else? Or buy one just for TM dedicated? I'd have thought you could buy a 250Gb disc for $50 or so? 150Gb isnt a whole lot.

What is it you actually want to achieve, eg why do you want to format your Macbook in the first place?

Sudz705

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah, That is sort of what I figured, thank you for the information. Basically I just want a fresh start. The Macbook is a little over 3 years now and the drive is always near full, despite trying my best to clear files. I just want to back-up the important things, and give it a good clean slate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.