partition external HD for time machine

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ayee007, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ayee007 macrumors member

i have a 500GB external HD but a 250HD on my macbook. is it possible to parition the HD 300GB for time machine and 200 for storage of data and files? if so, how would i go about doing that? i just dont want to waste a 500 GB external if my HD is only 250GB...

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I see your point. You definitely do want more space on your external than you have in your computer, as time machine will take up more space than what is on your internal HD. However, twice the size is not necessary. You can easily partition it for time machine and data using disk utility. Just connect your external and select in in disk utility, shrink the time machine partition, and format the rest to FAT32 or another format if you prefer.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have a 500gb external to backup a 320 gb internal. I have the external partitioned half for time machine and use the other half for data storage.

4. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

would it be possible to give me a write up? im in disk utility...select 1 partition...do i select FAT for this partition and label it with 230GB...leaving 270GB for time machine? sorry i just want to be sure

5. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Hm,I never thought you should partition it,I have an external 500GB HD and I use it for time machine and data backups. I don't have it partitioned,when you open the drive folder on the desktop it's got my data and it's got a folder that says time machine backups.It works just fine.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

The problem with that setup is that eventually you will not be able to add any data backups - time machine will fill up all the available free space on the drive. The advantage of partitions is that it limits the amount of space that time machine will use.

7. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

could you guys give me a write up on how to partition this? im gonna partition it 300GB for time machine and 200 for data storage

8. ayee007 thread starter macrumors member

anyone able to help? i want to know how i can partition my external 500GB to 300GB for time machine and 200 for storage...i know to go through disk utility but what exactly do i do?

9. johnnyham macrumors regular

This is off the top of my head, but it should be pretty accurate. Let me know if you need pictures or any more help.

1. Open DiskUtility
    2. Select your hard drive (i.e., 500 GB WD)
    3. Click the "partition" tab.
    4. Under "Volume Scheme" select "2 Partitions".
    5. Click the area labeled "Untitled 1".
    6. Give it a name, i.e., Time Machine, then set the format to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and set the size to 300 GB.
    7. Click the area labeled "Untitled 2".
    8. Give it a name, i.e., Data, then set the format to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and set the size to 200 GB.
    9. Click "Apply", then click "Continue".
    10. Let it do its work, then open Time Machine preferences, click "Select Disk" and click the partition named Time Machine.