Partition External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AFPoster, Sep 26, 2010.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I am trying to figure out how to partition my HD so that it can speak easily between a Windows formatted HD and Mac HD's without the Error Code -0 (meaning it won't transfer files larger than 4gb's from HD to HD. I use a Mac running Snow Leopard and I am formatting using Disk Utility. I have always done the MS-DOS (FAT) format but like I said I am getting the Error Code -0 and it's become more of a nuinsance than anything. My options are Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Mac OS Extended, Mac OS Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled), Mac OS Extended (Case-Sensitive), MS-DOS (FAT) and Free Space. Is it possible to get the best option explained to me in a way that's more understandable than from the research I have discovered.

Also I know Finder has issues thus the reasoning for the 4gb limit. I have downloaded a 3rd party app Path Finder to allow me to bypass that limit except whenever I copy from one HD to another it disappears once the transfer is complete.

Thanks again for all the help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The 4GB limit is not a Finder issue, but a restriction of the FAT32 format, regardless of the app or OS you're using.

FAT32
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    • No individual file larger than 4GB.
    exFAT (FAT64)
    NTFS
    HFS
    • Read/Write HFS from native Mac OS X
    • To Read/Write HFS from Windows, Install MacDrive
    • To Read HFS (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

GGJstudios - you need to update that template with info on exFAT :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks! I'll do some reading on it. It looks like it's not quite mainstream yet, and not having read much about it, it appears only the newest versions of Snow Leopard read it.... still don't yet know if they can format or write to it. I'll dig into it. Thanks for the tip!

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

there is some in this thread, it died though.
    I'm very curious as to if we will see it in 10.6.5
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11119361

6. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you need to regularly share between a Mac and various Windows PCs, I'd suggest NTFS. If you only share with one particular Windows PC, I'd recommend HFS and install MacDrive on that PC.