Partition failure!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yettimillan, Dec 21, 2010.

1. yettimillan macrumors regular

May 28, 2009
    Partition failed with the error:

Could not modify partition map because filesystem verification failed

^ My windows bootcamp messed up so I deleted it and tried to install a new one but I get this message. Does this mean that there is something wrong with the hard drive??

I do want windows and cannot now install it, shall I reinstall Mac OS X and use Time Machine? I don't want future problems.
  2. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

May 28, 2009
    Ok so.

I booted from disk, went to disk utility and erased the disk and re did is as mac os Extended (Journled)

I then went to re install mac os but instead restored from a backup of the 17th December.

It has now allowed to me to make a bootcamp partition yey.

But all my apps are still there, the desktop is the same as before. Nothing much has changed. I thought it was going to make a fresh install? I don't understand how everything is exactly the same including all of the apps, internet history etc.

Also I have now over 10GB extra space than before on the mac partition., with the same size bootcamp partition. And under the mac HD there is a new random folder called 'private' I have never had a folder named private before.
  3. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

May 28, 2009
    Does anyone know what i've done? I need some help please.
  4. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    You did a "Hybrid" Install. You installed OS X, then restored the Applications and settings that were backed up via Boot Camp. Of course you have the extra 10 GB, you don't have a FAT32/NTFS partition for XP. Run the Bootcamp Assistant and you can repartition the drive with no issues.

5. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

May 28, 2009
    Actually its the Mac HD that has saved 10GB. I have already allocated 40GB for BootCamp.

So did it install os x without me knowing whilst it was restoring my time machine?