Partition HD for mac / windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Toby Goodbar, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

Hi.

I have a powermac g4 with 2 HDs. Both have osx installed. HD "1" has osx and other data. HD "2" has a clean install of osx. I want to partition the HD2 so that osx is left alone and there is another partition where I can install windows to run with virtual pc. My osx discs got lost when I moved.

How can I partition HD2 for windows w/out losing osx data?

(And if anyone knows, I have a windows98 disc I was planning to use. Would you recommend using xp instead? I only want to run my school's flight training software and utorrent. Maybe microsoft flight sim.)

2. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

This forum is usually so helpful. No one knows about partitioning?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just partition the drive with Disk Utility. You'll lose anything currently on the drive, of course.

There's really no need to do so, though. Virtual PC uses disk images for the Windows installation, so it's not going to scatter files on that drive, just a single file (the disk image).

jW

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Sorry you need an Intel Mac before you can install Windows.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not if he's going to run Virtual PC.:rolleyes: That's exactly what it was made to do. It won't run nearly as well as a virtualization program will on an Intel Mac, but it will work. It's simply not produced anymore.

jW

6. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

MAL: That information actually helped alot. I didn't realize windows would be contained completely in a disk image. I guess there's no need to partition then. Should there be any internet acess problems with a virtual windows?

Nice avatar, I love that show. They should've brought it back