Partition HDD with Mavericks and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Traverse, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I had a few technical questions about OSX.

I really want access to SL, but the sever version for virtualization is too expensive. My Mac came with SL and I still have the disks. I am currently running mavericks.

Can I partition like 40 GB or so (preferably less) of my HDD and use the restore disks to put SL on? When I get a new Mac will this partition become useless because of new hardware? Can I run the partition from VMware like you can with boot camp?

Thank you all!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes you can partition the drive and install Snow Leopard from the restore discs. It cannot be virtualized like a Boot Camp partition via VMware Fusion or Parallels. When you get a newer machine that cannot run Snow Leopard, the partition it is installed on will be completely useless.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Would I just use disk utility while in mavericks to partition a a drive "Snow Leopard" with Extended Journaled and when I put my disk in and start up I just hold down the option key and choose that partition? It won't delete my others? Do you know how small I can make it?

Thanks!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes Disk Utility can be used and it won't delete anything. I'd suggest nothing smaller than 15GB, but 20GB would be more usable.

5. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I gave my little Snow Leopard partition 90gB. That leaves plenty of room for games and Apps that won't run on modern Systems, but doesn't put much of a dent in HD space.

6. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Using FileVault on Mavericks won't affect the installation process will it?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

8. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I had done it, but I'm having an issue. The trackpad is only working for point in click. Scrolling and gestures aren't working and trackpad under settings just looks for a bluetooth trackpad.

Also, is there a way to get the "natural" scrolling that is in the current version of OSX to work in Snow Leopard. It's a minor annoyance.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not by default. There may be some third party applications that can emulate the functionality.

10. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

What about snow leopards built in gestures not working?

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What machine do you have it installed on and what trackpad/mouse are you using?

12. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

A MacBook Pro, but I just updated to 10.6.8 and the gestures have been restored. Thank you for helping me!

Boy, I forgot how different SL looks.