Partition help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fattakin, Jan 5, 2012.

1. fattakin macrumors newbie

Decided to roll back to Snow Leopard after finding my lost install DVD. I havent had wireless since Lion came out, no matter what fix i tried.

I had an old bootcamp partition that wasnt in use so installed leopard on it to check the wireless was ok - of course it is!

Thought i could just resize the partitions as i want to hold onto lion and see if the 10.7.3 update fixes anything.

I resized it and have all this free space but i cannot drag up the snow leopard partition to take up the free space, it just sticks to the 35.8 GB

(there is 40gb of data that i was going to move over from lion to snow leopard, thats why i resized so small .. as there will be plenty once i move)

So what do i do now?
    drives copy.jpg

Basically: Id like to keep Lion on there but want to use Snow Leopard as my main and cant make the partition any bigger than existing 30gb

2. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

3. fattakin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the link. The problem isnt creating a new partition (as i can, creates a 130gb partition)

The problem is i cant extend the partition called snow leopard, i want that to take the free space.

Even if i create another small partition, i cant seem to increase the size of 'snow leopard' at all

drives2 copy.jpg

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Do you have way to back up to another drive and reformat/repartition the whole thing?

5. fattakin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah majority of my stuff is backed up I think i'll setup a partition in the 130gb fre space and install snow leopard on that and just format the wee 30gb and use it as a data drive. Slight pain i have to re-install leopard but no biggie, was hoping the partition manager would be smart :(

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

you can't extend partitions up, only down. I would clone the snow leopard partition to an external hard drive, delete the partition, and then create a new one using the free space. Afterwards you can restore the larger partition with the snow leopard clone you made.

I would use Carbon Copy Cloner to do the cloning process, if you need help with that I can explain it further.

If you are going to reinstall snow leopard on the free space you could delete the smaller SL partition and extend the new one down to use that space. Like I said, you can only extend partitions down, not up.