Partition Help!

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
1,581
0
I have my iMac here and I have it partitoned for windows. Unfortunately, right when it was copying files to install windows in the first setup process, the power blacked out. I need to remove windows to instal it again. However, Disk utility or boot camp cannot unpartition the drive. Is there 3rd party software that can get a half installed windows off my system? Big mistake making it in NTFS.
 

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
1,581
0
imacintel said:
I have my iMac here and I have it partitoned for windows. Unfortunately, right when it was copying files to install windows in the first setup process, the power blacked out. I need to remove windows to instal it again. However, Disk utility or boot camp cannot unpartition the drive. Is there 3rd party software that can get a half installed windows off my system? Big mistake making it in NTFS.
Would CarBonCopCloner do somethng like this...
 

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
2,087
3
Chicago, IL
imacintel, if you mean Carbon Copy Cloner, no, all it does is copy the data off of a drive.

The Windows install disk should be able to erase the NTFS partition. But backup first as I hear it is hard to tell which partition you are about to reformat.
 

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
1,581
0
yippy said:
imacintel, if you mean Carbon Copy Cloner, no, all it does is copy the data off of a drive.

The Windows install disk should be able to erase the NTFS partition. But backup first as I hear it is hard to tell which partition you are about to reformat.
Thanks...:)
 

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
1,581
0
Ok, did that. Crap. Now I just lost 36 GB because it is now"unpartitioned space.:confused:
HELP!!
 

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
1,581
0
imacintel said:
Ok, did that. Crap. Now I just lost 36 GB because it is now"unpartitioned space.:confused:
HELP!!
PLEASE! I really don't wanna steal my dads 80 GB noisy external...:( :eek:
 

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
2,087
3
Chicago, IL
Unpartitioned space is good. You just need to format that space either with the Windows disk again if you want to try to install Windows or disk utility should be able to do it as well.
 

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
1,581
0
:mad:
imacintel said:
Can I format it as macintosh hd and not have 2 partitions?

Ok, I really don't want to have to destroy all Mac OS X. And my info.:mad:
 

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
2,087
3
Chicago, IL
Repartitioning requires destroying the data on the drive. I was just saying that you can format the ex-windows partition to Mac OS Extended and then use it to store files or whatnot. You will still have all the space, just split into two chunks.
 

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
1,581
0
Ok. I really don't want to do that(I really don't know why:D) so looks like i will make a backup and reinstall. *steals dads 80gig external for backup* *then thinks about it* then does a huge netowrk backup on HP Pavilion winblows* *is it reliable?* :D