Partition iMac hard drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by makgadikgadi, May 22, 2008.

1. makgadikgadi macrumors newbie

Can I partition my hard drive to have two partitions both running OS X?

Like the way you can have windows on one with bootcamp, except with OS X instead, how can I do that?

Basically what I want to do is parition my mac in half, and have OS X on both if you know what I mean lol, where you press alt at startup.

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I'm sort of curious why you would want or need to do that. You would have the same functionality, in that each user's documents and settings would be securely separated, by simply creating two administrator-level accounts in one copy of OS X. In addition, you will only have to download and install common applications once, and both users will have access to the entire hard drive.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As mreg376 pointed out why would you need to do this?,as all you would be doing is wasting space,if more than one person uses your Mac just set up a different account for them.If you already have windows running through bootcamp then you would need to use disk utilities to do this,if not then i would imagine you could use bootcamp, god knows about the legality of it with EULA,but Im kinda thinking you can because it's on the same machine,but then again your installing it twice god knows???

4. javierbds macrumors regular

Easy solution: use external HD

Well, he may want to be able to test multiple OS X releases on the same hardware ...
    I use an external HD to boot on a different OS X version (no need to be fw for Intel to boot).

Hope that helps. I have not tried / not found how to make multiple bootable partitions on the same HD on Apple´s format (other than BootCamp, on DOSland I used to multi-boot many OSs from a single HD; but could be similar to GNU/Linux tools?). I'd be glad to know how :rolleyes:.

I'm also not sure about the situation right now with virtualizing OS X on OS X, but virtualization (sp?) is not 100% safe for compatibility testing ...

5. makgadikgadi thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, when i think about it more it does seem pretty pointless, i don't really know what i was thinking of accomplishing, but the other night i put windows on my mac again and then as soon as it finished installing, i looked at it and thought wow, its so depressing and took it off and just wondered if i can have mac os x on twice like having another user account except on separate partitions just for the sake of it.

just a thought that came to mind really!