Partition MacBook Pro need suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stuart2102, Feb 15, 2013.

1. stuart2102 macrumors regular

stuart2102

Im just bought a macbook pro i5 with 500g of HD im planning to partition but i need your advise which is best move, for my start up disk im planning to put only 100g and for my second HD 400g is it advisable to do that? since my startup HD is only 100 is it enough for applications to store all of there? Like installing editing software for professional video and audio edting(adobe or apple products) and some apps like photoshops, and others please give me advise for this

2. simsaladimbamba

Why the need to partition? This is not Windows, and if you ever have to restore your OS, your data does not get wiped, and in case it gets wiped, you hopefully have a backup to fall back to.

Anyway, while 100 GB might seem much, I often did not have enough capacity with my DCC applications (Avid, FCS, Adobe, Discreet/Autodesk) and all their wondrous additional content on a 128 GB SSD.
    Now that I have a 256 GB SSD, it does suffice. I also have another 500 GB HDD in my MBP to store the content I work on at the moment.

PS: It is not advised to use the same HDD* as the OS resides on to store the video and audio content you work with in a DCC application. Best to get a second HDD inside that MBP via Optibay adapter or get a fast external HDD (USB 3.0 or Firewire 800 or Thunderbolt).

* Partitioning an HDD with two partitions/volumes is not the same as using two different HDDs, the OS still resides on the same HDD as the media you work with, if that is indeed your plan.

If you are new to video editing:
    Video Compression
    Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd not partition your drive, just stick with a single partition.

You're not gaining any performance benefit since its the same physical drive.

4. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

Oh thank you so much for this information it helps me a lot, the only reason i want to partition i thought i could install applications in other room and the other room is all my files because it happens to me before that i deleted a files and empty my TRASH then when i tried to install application to locate my deleted files from emptying TRASH is that, i need to install the app in different drive so since my files are in one drive and the app is also install in the same drive i was not able to find my deleted files so thats really comes up to my mind what if i will partition it if thats the case

5. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, but that is one convoluted mess, especially without punctuation, but I think I got the gist of it.
    Simply do backups via Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! and an external HDD or two.

A data recovery application needs to be run from a different HDD or SSD to scan any HDD or SSD to locate deleted, but not overwritten files, as deletion of files does not physically delete them, but the sectors they are stored in, get marked to free for writing new data, thus after an accidental deletion of a file or folder, and one has made no backups, it is best to leave the actual HDD as it is and use another HDD to install the recovery application on and run it from there.
    Using partitions might work, I never tried it, but then again, I also have backups.

I have one 500 GB HDD for my photographs (digital and analog) libraries and editing documents, one 500 GB HDD with my personal video footage in an editing friendly format.
    Both 500 GB HDDs get backed up to one 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
    And that 1 TB HDD gets backed up to another 1 TB HDD via CarbonCopyCloner.
    Therefore I have three copies of my important data.

6. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

Thanks for the suggestions...