Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acraig426

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
I recently tried to partition my 13" Macbook Pro so that I could install Windows XP on it. After creating a partition and trying to run the XP setup with an install disk that came with one of my old Dells, my computer refused to restart itself to complete the windows installation process. So I decided that the disc I was using was probably incompatible, and nixed the idea altogether. I then stumbled through the process of trying to get my normal Mac OS back, but ended up re-installing Leopard onto the partition (I think). In my "Users" folder of my hard drive, I can see my normal account, but I can't access any of the files.

I want to delete whatever this new partition that I'm using is and go back to my original hard drive, just like it was before I ran bootcamp to create the partition originally intended for windows. I tried to use the bootcamp assistant to delete the partition, but because there are two OS X partitions rather than 1 OS X and 1 Windows (I'm guessing), it only gives me the option of creating a windows partition rather than deleting the one I'm using now. I have a 500GB external HD, which has plenty of Time Machine backups and everything, if that's important.

If someone could help ASAP, I would be incredibly appreciative!

*update: After messing around a little more, I'm actually not sure if there's a partition, but rather just an extra user account that I don't want. This sounds like something simple to delete, but I can't figure out how to do it...

acraig426

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Yes, that's what I did. I am so sorry though, I think I just solved my own problem. I deleted the extra user account and everything seems to be back to normal. Again, so sorry for the bother... next time I'll try harder to fix it myself before posting.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yes, that's what I did. I am so sorry though, I think I just solved my own problem. I deleted the extra user account and everything seems to be back to normal. Again, so sorry for the bother... next time I'll try harder to fix it myself before posting.

hahahaha its fine, dont worry about it im just glad everything is now sorted. dont be worried about posting, other people who suffer the same problem will now be able to fix it if they search properly.

good to hear everything is ok.

acraig426

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
haha ok, sorry again but one last quick thing:
everything is normal except my safari settings are messed up and my DVD library in Multiplex is no longer sorted or organized. Is there a way to just clear everything and restore my computer to a time machine point from earlier today?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
haha ok, sorry again but one last quick thing:
everything is normal except my safari settings are messed up and my DVD library in Multiplex is no longer sorted or organized. Is there a way to just clear everything and restore my computer to a time machine point from earlier today?

yes of course! pop in your OSX install disc and boot from it (by holding the "C" key). run through the installation process - you can choose to restore from a Time Machine backup point. give it a while and your all set. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.