Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mistermaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
UK
Hello, first i wana say hello im new here and just found you through google.

I have a little problem with my macbook partition.
I installed Boot Camp and got windows Media Edition on my macbook.
All is working fine and dandy, but when i log into my mac the pattion shows on my desktop, this is cool but when i try to drag and drop files from the mac HD to the XP partition it says it can not be modified ? All i want to do is drag and drop movied to it so i can stream HD movies through my xbox360!
So far everything is working exept this ?

Any ideas ? i tried channging the proerties in XP of the partition and alowes "everyone" to modify it but it's still locked ?

many thanks in advance !

mistermaker

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I assume you have formatted your windows partition as NTFS. OS X can't write to this kind of partition, it can only read from it. If you need to be able to write files to Windows you need to use FAT32 instead of NTFS. Alternatively use an external disk or a network drive to move files about.

mistermaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
UK
Ahhh thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah i formatted in NTFS i have also tried it in target mode (firewire) and it still wont let me move around files. Are you suggestion deleete my partition and re install bootcamp etc but this time format in fat32 ?

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Hello, first i wana say hello im new here and just found you through google.

Forgot to say: Hello and welcome!

Are you suggestion deleete my partition and re install bootcamp etc but this time format in fat32 ?

Yes that would work. There are some restictions when creating a new FAT32 volume with the Windows installer (a maximum of 32gb if I remember correctly). I think you can create the partition using disk utility in advance but I can't remember how ottomh, perhaps someone else can advise?

You don't need to reinstall bootcamp in any case just reboot from the Windows install CD again (press 'c' at bootup).

fishy2k8

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2006
when installing windows how do you choose where to put the files? i was reading on apple about bootcamp and they said be careful wen installing windows and manually selecting the C: drive, you could accidentaly delete your mac files... how do you do this correctly? "Next, insert your Windows installation disc, restart and follow the Windows installation process. The only tricky part is selecting the C: drive manually. Be sure to get this right, or you could erase your Mac files accidentally. Remember, Apple Computer does not sell or support Microsoft Windows."
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Noth

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2006
There are some restictions when creating a new FAT32 volume with the Windows installer (a maximum of 32gb if I remember correctly). I think you can create the partition using disk utility in advance but I can't remember how ottomh, perhaps someone else can advise?

To create the filesystem Right click on My Computer and hit Manage, once the MMC comes up click on Disk Management. From there you can create, delete, format, etc partitions on any disk in the system.

And yes, XP won't let you create a FAT volume >32G but if you use some other tool (dosfstools on Linux works, maybe they work under OS X too) you can create much larger volumes. But the main problem is that FAT doesn't support files >4G in size so large videos, DVD ISOs, etc can't be stored on a FAT volume without splitting them up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.