Partition query: movies unplayable on large partition?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Frysk, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Frysk macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumours

Using: iPhone 3GS, 32gb, jailbroken.
    Using iFile.
    Connecting to macbook wirelessly.

When I connect wirelessly to my mac, I'm given the option of connecting to two areas: 'root' or 'home'. Root gives me access to everything on the iphone, but is listed as only have 700MB of free space. Home only grants access to 'Library' and 'Media', but is listed as having 32GB of space.

I can copy movies to /whatever on the 'root' directory, and play them as I see fit. I CAN'T play movies that are copied to the 'home' directory, no matter what subdirectory I place them in. I receive the following errors: "This movie could not be played" and "An unknown playback error occurred".

I want to be able to play movies from the larger partition, but not simply through iTunes (rather, from a folder I specify). Is this possible? Is this a problem that is isolated to me?

The movie files are iPhone friendly and run perfectly on the smaller partition.

I can't use the all-access 'root' connection, as I don't have enough space...

Any ideas?

Thank you.

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

What the heck are you using to play back the movie files? The built-in media player is only going to play back movie files from /var/mobile/Media, which sits on the large partition, and the files it plays back are catalogued in an SQLite database that the phone software reads/writes during an iTunes sync. The small partition is just the partition that houses the OS (the boot partition). It isn't even mounted as writeable unless you have jailbroken the phone (which, obviously, you have).

You will probably save yourself a lot of trouble if you simply use iTunes to sync over the videos that you want to watch. It will put them on the large partition and make them accessible through the iPod app. Easy. :)

-- Nathan

3. Frysk thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps you are right. Thanks for the response at any rate.