Partition question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by g-boac, Sep 11, 2009.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Question - is there a way for me to non-destructively create an additional bootable partition on my Macintosh HD? I currently have two: one for Snow Leopard, one for Windows (Boot Camp). Would there be a way to create a third bootable partition (without destroying my other two) for setting up a bootable Leopard OS on?

One more question - is there a way for me to give access permissions to my home directory (on the Snow Leopard partition) such that I can access it (read, write, etc.) on booting off the Leopard partition?

thanks!
    Mark

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Answer 1: Yes, I think it's possible if you have enough free space in your HD
    Answer 2: Yes

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

1) Yes
    2) Not sure, but I think Snow Leopard enabled this...

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SL enables HFS+ read while using Windows with BootCamp. Leopard and SL both use HFS+ so SL partition should be readable and writeable

5. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

:) Sorry, I should have asked my question a little more clearly, because I received literal answers to my question. :) I have a 500GB HDD with ~400 GB free, so could somebody kindly tell me how to create that third bootable partition, without wiping out my other two?

thanks!
    Mark

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Select your HD (not Macintosh HD, the top one) -> Select Partitioning -> Click the + and give name to your new partition (you should now have 3 partitions in left hand side graph) -> Its format should be "Mac OS extended (journaled) -> Make it the size as you want it to be -> Click Use or whatever it's in the bottom right -> When it's ready, make sure you have three partitions below your HD in left hand side -> Pop in the Leopard disc -> Shut down and hold C while booting -> It should now boot from the install DVD -> Select the partition you just created and install Leopard to it

Ask if you have any questions :cool:

7. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!!!!! I will give this a shot!

I think what I am going to do is use a clone I have to restore Leopard. . .then clean install Snow Leopard onto a separate partition. . .see if that makes any difference. . .and if it does, then that will tell me something. If it doesn't, then at the very least I will be able to take advantage of anything the new OS may be able to offer while waiting for .2 to come out.

I remember that Leopard really didn't have its bugs out (i.e., working Back to My Mac, printer sharing, etc) until .3

8. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

Hellhammer - I actually have two questions. These options are greyed out, so am I correct in assuming that I need to put in the Leopard (or Snow Leopard) install DVD, and run Disk Utility off of there, because I am not allowed to add a partition to the disk I booted off of?

Second, another computer I have (a MacBook Pro running Leopard) is telling me that I cannot install Snow Leopard because the partition is not Journaled. Is selecting "Enable Journaling" destructive, or can I safely select this option in Disk Utility and then proceed with the installation?

thanks,
    Mark