Partition Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingdf, Nov 6, 2014.

1. kingdf macrumors regular

1) After you made a partition and did a time machine backup, how do you restore the amount of memory you want back to the original storage space? For example, I just made a partition (Macintosh HD 2) and did a time machine backup on there which was 29GB. I have 99GB left on Macintosh HD 2 and want to send 80GB of that back to the original space (Macintosh HD). How do I do that?

2) When I'm in disk utility, I see under Macintosh HD a separate Macintosh HD that has 35GB used. My MacBook was showing 215/250GB available space initially so I see that is where the remaining 35GB is. How do I make that 35GB available for use or is it not possible?

Thx

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Having a local time machine backup is next to useless. If your internal SSD fails, so does your backup. You should invest in an external hard drive for backup purposes and repartition your hard drive to a single partition.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can't resize the top partition when there is one on the bottom. You will need to remove the bottom one and that will allow you to resize the top, then add the bottom back again at whatever size you want. Of course this wipes the data on the bottom.

4. kingdf, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

kingdf thread starter macrumors regular

Nvm I found out how to resize the partitions. But could someone answer my second question up there regarding what is stored in that 35GB of space and how I can use/partition it?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Run the command below in Terminal and post the results. That will show us the layout of all the partitions.

Code:
    diskutil list