Partition ?'s & Raid0 ?'s & Bootcamp ?'s

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Infntlycr8tve, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Infntlycr8tve, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

Infntlycr8tve macrumors newbie

First let me start by saying, long time reader, first time poster.
    I want to thank the community, without you i wouldn't even know how to ask this question. cheers. Now...enough mushy stuff, on with the tech!!!

I have a 320 hd on my MBP
    Im in 10gb of my limit

Whats the goal?

To change my current 320gb HDD to something more suited to my needs

The goal is to have a ~500gb raid0 HDD/SSD with ~70gb HDD partition for bootcamp using...

a 320gb HDD
    a ~250gb SSD
    a partition
    and alot of help o_O

My idea is this
    Super duper, clone to external samsung 500gb crap unit external hard drive (scary as its crapola)

I would like to do this
    use existing 320gb hd
    alone with OWC’s data doubler, using a 250 range ssd samsung 840 or OWC
    using Raid0

partition ~70gb for windows bootcamp, Boot ONLY from HDD
    raid0 @ ~ 500gb 2x250 ssd/hdd

Oh man, so where do i start.
    Ok....
    1.what program do i use/do to clone my drive, never done super anxious, lots of audio programs.
    As when using the raid0 the lowest common space is used can i partition a amount (~ 70gb on HDD, pre raid0 set up?) then raid0 will see? correct 250x250 for ssd/hdd?

How to get windows to boot from the HDD only.

Any advise would be truly appreciated!

2. Quad5Ny, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

That's a really, really bad idea. RAID arrays are always best created with matching disks (or at least ones that perform the same).

Do you mean you want to make your own "Fusion" drive? Because that would make a lot more sense than sticking a SSD+HDD in RAID 0.

3. Infntlycr8tve thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback

Can you clarify why you think its a bad idea outside of data redundancy?
    I'll be backing my data up on a external hard drive, I figured 1 HD fails or 2 fail in raid0, either way its backed up externally. Thoughts?

Of course i could use raid 1 though i dont intend for redundancy, i intend for speed

Though i am interested in the 'fusion drive' idea, call it what you will. The process i would be using would be raid0 to make a 'fusion drive' anyway right?

4. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Fusion Drives are very similar to RAID 0, however, on the software front, Fusion Drives handle things very differently.

You'll certainly see better performance from the Fusion Drive, at least in the long run. I imagine they would perform very much the same until the SSD got full on the RAID 0 array, in which case everything from that point on would be handled by the HDD.

With the Fusion Drive, the SSD is almost used as kind of an impromptu "cache". So, it'll always have your most frequently used files, programs, etc, ready to go on the quicker SSD drive.

I would not recommend RAID 0 on two different types of drive, even though it's more or less the same as a Fusion Drive. In theory, at least.