Partition Size & Windows Size

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MyDesktopBroke, Jun 22, 2009.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I heard from multiple Youtube videos and walkthroughs that said that Windows took 4gb, so I made a 24gb partition. After installation, I go to "Computer" (c: drive), and it says 9gbs free of 24gbs.

I'm using a MBP 2.53 w/ 9600, and installed Windows 7 RC 64bit. What happened? How can I see what's taking up all that space?

2. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Any links to those walkthroughs or guides? That really doesn't seem to be right. Maybe a minimal install? Right now I have 148 free on a 200 GB partition (not just Windows though).

My Windows folder says it's 8.5 GBs and my Program Files is 3.8 GB. So yes, it makes sense that you only have 9 GBs free. If you want to check what is taking up space, just right click on any folder (i.e. Windows, Program Files, Program Data, Users) and then click on Properties, at the bottom. That little window will tell you how much data is in that folder.

3. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks like what I was looking at was the minimum install just to test out Windows 7. If you wanted to actually use it, the suggestions jumped to 40gb partition size.

4. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Yes, that is more like it. I tried running Win7 on a 12 GB partition, but it was just way too small (my former XP partition). I finally just bought a new hard drive.