Partition sizes for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Megaman, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Megaman macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I've been partitioning every Mac that I've owned since about the mid 90's (7200 I think?). This will be the first SSD I will own on a Mac. I'm wondering if SSD's need partitioning?

I work as a graphic designer. I use a lot of "heavy" PS (for work and personal), Illustrator, InDesign. I also use a lot of FCPX (personal) with my Canon XA10 footage.

I'm expecting my "maxed" rMBP to arrive this week.

Normally I partiton into 3, System (OS & Apps), Working and a Scratch.

If partitioning is recommended, what would be recommended that I divide the 768gb drive partitions into "size wise"?

Thank very much!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no real advantage to splitting up the SSD into multiple partitions. You're not going to see any performance gains and it adds a level of complexity to the installation that is not needed.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I suppose if you do that for organization then do a 3-way even split but why not just have everything on one partition?

4. Megaman thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for the replies!

So the way that SSDs work, I don't have to worry about performance loss or system getting corrupt the same way I would with a normal HD?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually, the SSD works exactly like a single hard drive would. That is, the single hard drive is not going to give you any faster speeds by partitioning it. If you had a second hard drive (or SSD) hooked up to the optical drive sata controller, then you'd see faster speeds because both physical drives would be able to read/write at the same time.

Given that you have a retina MBP, there is no option for a second drive, since there's no bay.

I've not heard of any corruption problems with using a single partition, and I've been using a Mac for many many years

6. Megaman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Maflynn,

In that case, I'll leave it as is.

I appreciate your help :)

7. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Just to say that for a scratch drive (i.e. video and photography work), a 64GB SSD connected via thunderbolt is the bee's knees! Thunderbolt is really flexible and native PCI speed means an effective 2nd bay ;-) We use Seagate goflex adapters which will fit any SATA disk with ease...