Partition Sizes

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cbrain, Apr 28, 2007.

1. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Hello!

I have just ordered windows xp home from amazon and while wait I would like to know how big I should make the windows partition. I was thinking 50gb. I will needing to run games, office and other windows stuff. Will 50gb be sufficient or should I make it bigger?

Thanks!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

How the hell should we know? How big is your drive? Many many games will you install? How big are the games? Will you uninstall them when you are done? There are way too many variables here for us to help you. We need more information.

3. cbrain thread starter macrumors 65816

cbrain

My hard drive is 250GB. The main games I'll be installing are 4GB each and theres about 3 of those, possibly a few others but not as big. I think I will go with 50GB.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

4 GB * 3 Games = 12 GB of large games.
    5 GB for other games.
    7 GB for Windows.
    1 GB for Office (only basic stuff)

25 GB + some extra for whatever. 30 GB probably will be plenty, but if you don't use a lot of space on the Mac partition, then 40-50 GB might give you that extra room to grow.

I have a 30 GB partition for XP. I'm only using 10 GB for Windows, Office (more than just the basic software), Visual Studio, and some small utilities.