Partition Slows down my Entire Computer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by untypoed, Apr 5, 2011.

1. untypoed, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

untypoed macrumors member

untypoed

I have a partition that is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).. It completely slows down my computer when it is mounted. It used to be NTFS (which is why it's called Windows) but I changed it.

It was working fine for two weeks, then suddenly it stopped working. This was once a major issue about last year. I stopped using the computer. But when I decided to come back.. suddenly the problem is gone. It's like it's a visitor that comes to annoy you for a couple of weeks and disappears, but you have to stay with them long enough to know when they leave..

Please help.

PS: I verified and repaired all partitions. No issues.

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I don't know if this will be helpful in your case, but it worked for me.

It was my experience that my Mac partition was bogged down until I told it to exclude the Windows partition from Spotlight searches. In System Preferences > Spotlight, click the add + button and select the Windows volume.

3. untypoed, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011

untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

Didn't work.
    I started my laptop (harddrive was out for a couple of hours as I was using the Windows harddrive), things started out smoothly. Then I click the settings icon.. SLOW. Did the settings in spotlight.. Things were still a bit smooth.. not laggy and not slow.

Then, I decided to open the Windows partition to look at a folder I wanted to see.. SLOW. Everything lagged again. So I quickly unmounted that..

Gah.

PS: Don't know if this is very useful information, but before I can unmount my Windows partition, I have to unmount a System Reserved partition.

Just realized and remembered..
    Windows partition is no longer NTFS.
    It's Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    But System Reserved is still NTFS.
    So I'm wondering.. what the hell is going on?

4. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

Partition Slows down my Entire Computer

I have a partition that is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).. It completely slows down my computer when it is mounted. It used to be NTFS (which is why it's called Windows) but I changed it.

It was working fine for two weeks, then suddenly it stopped working. This was once a major issue about last year. I stopped using the computer. But when I decided to come back.. suddenly the problem is gone. It's like it's a visitor that comes to annoy you for a couple of weeks and disappears, but you have to stay with them long enough to know when they leave..

Please help.

PS: I verified and repaired all partitions. No issues.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's probably a bad sector on the HDD. Do you have access to an IBM PC? If so, you could SpinRite it to repair it.

EDIT: If it's on your Hackintosh, you can use SpinRite without having to remove the HDD.

6. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

Do you know of a good free program that can fix bad sectors on a mac?

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No I don't, not for OS X. But if you can take the HDD out of your Mac and hook it to an IBM PC, the SpinRite will work (you have to buy SpinRite).

I actually used SpinRite today to recover two bad sectors preventing a Windows XP client from logging onto my domain. See attached photo.

Is this problem partition on a Mac (hardware) or on a Hackintosh (IBM PC hardware)?

Attached Files:

8. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

I cannot spend money and I do not have an IBM computer. Sorry.

9. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Yup. When I installed bootcamp my OSx partition was very slow. I decided windows wasn't worth it and just go to the lab at school for office.

10. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's a bit difficult if you can't spend money. There really aren't any free programs available to do what you need.

12. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

There has to be some other way.. I'm sure someone at Macrumors must have had a similar problem before.

13. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

14. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

15. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I understand your concern for trying to fix this, but now you're breaking one of the forum rules.

You're likely going to have to spend some money to fix your problem. Many times things can be fixed for free, but sometimes you just can't.

17. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

I apologize. I'll just keep looking and post here if I find a free way to fix my problem.