Partition suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by regis4u, Aug 30, 2008.

1. regis4u macrumors newbie

I just got a new iMac, 1 TB, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to partition my drive into separate drives. I was thinking one drive for system and applications and a second drive for any misc files and then a third drive for windows (blasphemy, I know, but I've got to try it).

Any suggestions?

2. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Hey, I have a Bootcamp drive for windows, and one for Ubuntu. No big deal there. I would recommend making a partition other than separate OS partitions to "backup" your data on, but that's about it.

I don't personally see the need for a zillion partitions, and it clutters the desktop, something which I cannot deal with.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Partitions wont give you any performance advantages or improve data security if thats what your getting at. You would need additional physical drives for that......

However, from a sheer "organizational" standpoint, some people prefer to use partitions merely as a storage locations, to do as you suggest, keep the OS & apps seperated from your personal files.

One small advantage to this arrangement is when backing up your personal files, it wont take as long since you wont be copying the OS & it's gazillion files also :p

You do HAVE to have a seperate partition for windblows, but thats another story :eek:

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

just DOCK 'em :)

drag the icons to the right side of the dock, then use the finder prefs to hide the actual drives/partitions.....

whalah! clutter b gone :eek:

5. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Yeah, I still find that having a zillion drives a bit annoying. Personal preference thing. I have three drives, excluding my Flash drive and Windows partition (neither of which are permanent fixtures on my computer), an iPod, and a folder, making five items at all times.

I named them Swisgar, Nathan Explosion, MURDERFACE (stupid Fat32 drive), Pickles, and Toki.