Partition swapping?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ChrisDx, May 2, 2007.

1. ChrisDx macrumors member

Hello;

I have a 120 GB drive partitioned thus: 20 GB start-up/systems; 50 GB documents; 50 GB scratch/misc.

The start-up/system partition has about 4 GB free.

I intend to upgrade to MacOS 10.4 and Adobe CS3. I suspect that I will run out of space in the start-up/system partition.

What is the best, safest, cost-effective way of getting more room into the start-up/system partition? Would swapping with the scratch/misc partition work? How would I do that?

Chris

2. ChrisDx thread starter macrumors member

Hello;

I used Drive Genius which was able to resize the volumes without erasing.

Cheers;
    Chris

3. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

I'm ignorant in this regard. I use separate drives for operating system and media to improve performance. I also understand that in your typical linux drive set up one creates multiple partitions as you have.

What I don't know is the benefit such a partition setup has for OS X. I'd appreciate your thoughts on that.

Thanks

4. ChrisDx thread starter macrumors member

Hello;

I've been partitioning my drives to enhance performance since before MacOSX. It was particularly helpful in defragging only volumes that needed it.

Not being a techie, and only knowing what I think I need to know, maybe I'm wrong. If someone knows better, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks;
    Chris

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In the case of OSX partitioning a single drive is unlikely to help performance.
    - OSX does routine defragging on its own
    - there is no speed gain from separating data, scratch and system on the same spindle, because the same heads have to shuttle back and forth between the partitions.
    -OSX makes extensive use of scratch files; if you put the OS onto a limited space partition, and fill that up, then you may run into issues.
    - The one reason to partion is to force the scratch files to occupy the fastest tracks of the disk, which are the outer tracks (the first partition created). by putting the scratch space on the last partition (inner tracks), you guarantee poor scratch file performance.

For most uses, an unpartitioned single drive is the best.

6. ChrisDx thread starter macrumors member

Here's an update. I've reconfigured my HD into one single volume using Drive Genius. It's been about a week now and all is humming along nicely.

Thanks for all your help.

Chris