Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rinseout

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Hi,

I'm setting up a brand new iBook with the 80G hard drive. It's mostly going to be used by one person. Anyway, I would like to partition the drive to keep (at least) the /Users directory on a separate partition, and preferably the Applications directories on separate partitions so that OS X reinstalls aren't going to be too inconvenient.

I'm thinking this would be an OK layout to begin with:

15G /
12G /Applications
6G /sw (fink)
35G /Users
12G spare volume, mounted as /Volumes/scratch or something, could be mounted elsewhere when required, or used for a linux install or something.

The machine is mostly to be used for software development and paper-writing, with digital lifestyle bits and bobs thrown in (picture collections, a bit of music, etc.) Maybe some dabbling in music production at the Garageband level.

What I want to know is whether given the size of OS X and a typical collection of applications/user files whether this is a good layout. I would hate to be wasting space by massively over-allocating, or find myself having to re-partition again soon because I've under-allocated.

Thanks.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Why the hell bother?

With Archive and Install, you don't loose your user data, it just does a fresh install of the OS while keeping your user data. You really don't need to worry about this stuff.

Lemme guess, you're a switcher, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.