Partition Time Capsule-can someone help me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusious, Aug 19, 2008.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Hi.I have a problem when i partition a Time Capsule.

I run disk utility and then i select TC.After that i split it in 2 parts.Everything is ok.

But when i try to backup,i connect to my TC which shows up in the side bar, run a file something like a dmg and then the 2 new volumes appear.So i open System Prefs-->Time Machine and when i try to find the two volumes i find one that it's from the partition which is the one of the 2 volumes(i found out because it said in the right 799GB or something) and another one that says nothing.Only time capsule.

What's wrong?

Can someone help me please?:(

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect the problem to be that both volumes aren't marked as shared on the Time Capsule. This can be fixed with AirPort Utility - go to the disks section, after selecting the Time Capsule and authenticating.

3. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

What?I didn't quite get that.So i'm on Airport Utility double click on TC and then move on to the disk section.Then what?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There should be a sharing tab - click that, then make sure both volumes are checked. (I'm not at a Mac right now so I'm going from memory. Apologies if my memory is incorrect.)

5. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

On disk Utility there are tabs only when you double click the TC.There i see a tab called Disks.I click that and i have 2 more tabs.One called Disks(again) and another one called file sharing.Which one?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

File Sharing's the one you need.

7. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

And do what?I have enabled file sharing.
    Secure shared disks is on "whith time capsule password",airport disks guest acces "not allowed".

So...What now?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm... check the disks tab then.

9. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Well here it has a window that says Time Capsule Disk and when you click it underneath it has Time capsule which says Capacity,Available,used,users.

An at the bottom :"click disconnect all users if you want to unplug a disk".

I am sure that the last one is not what we need:p

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In that case, I don't think I understand your problem correctly... as that's obviously not the cause.

11. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Ok.Then i assume that by clicking the button in the back of Time Capsule i erase the partition.Can you guide me on how to do this correctly?

Or someone else?