Partition too small??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gadgetgirl85, Jun 14, 2007.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I allocated 14 gigs to the thing and now I barely have 2 and I haven't installed much! Is there anyway I can clear up some space (I would prefer playing with the partition size as a last resort)

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Exactly what is much?

XP Pro on my last install took up just under 4GB...What apps did you install?

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

All I have installed is Microsoft Office, Windows Live Messanger, Firefox and SPSS (A statistical package which isnt too big). Thats it! Everytime I install more updates the partition gets smaller. I have also deleted the installers

Edit: I dont know if I said I'm installing Vista

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Here's your problem. I have no idea how much space Vista takes...

Edit: Won't apply for you but some XP tweaking ideas can be found in this long article. http://www.petri.co.il/customize_a_new_xp_installation.htm

Since you just got started, you may want to start over with a minimum of 30GB.

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

This may seem like a stupid question but if I redo the partition will this affect my windows install? or will everything still be ok

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd turn down the amount of space allocated to System Restore as well. Vista needs at least 15 GB off the bat and then more free space beyond that.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You can't resize your partition without starting over, so yes - you will lose windows. A quick google (as you should have done) reveals that Vista takes up almost 10GB...14 is way too little.

8. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ok ok I guess I will have to start over. My question is that I wont have any problems reinstalling windows will I? (ie activation etc)

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I reinstalled XP with no problems. Can't speak for Vista...It's resolved with a quick phone call anyways.

10. dimme macrumors 65816

It is my understanding you can reinstall/activate vista on the same computer with no problems. I installed vista and set my partition to 48 gigs.

11. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

12. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Yeah, that should be plenty if you're not using it as your main OS. I went for 30 on my Boot Camp partition (running XP), which in hindsight was a little excessive, but I'd rather not have to worry about running out of room.

13. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart