Partition Tool

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speedemonV12, Jun 3, 2007.

1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

hi guys, I need to partition my HD to add a third parition . I currently have a 130 gb for Mac, and 20 GB for windows. I want to add a third partition for Linux 20GB. What would be the best tool to use to create a third partition ?

thanks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

how do i do that, i was playing around in it, and it doesnt allow me to change the size of the current partitions that i have set up, and i cant seem to find out how to add another one... I have bootcamp installed already.. would that have something to do with it?

4. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

5. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

i need something that will allow me to add another partition to my drive, disk warrior doesnt do that.

in fact, i need something like bootcamp, that will split my os x into two partitions.. the only problem is that i have used bootcamp already.. so i cant use it again obviously.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think that if you're going to partition again, you'll lose all the data on the drive anyways. It's my understanding that you can't just partition part of a drive and leave the rest of it untouched. Of course, I could be totally wrong. ;)

Yep, looks like I'm wrong. :D

7. rob finch macrumors member

Well, if it's Linux you are interested in, why not use a Linux tool to make a partition for it?! GParted is a Gnome partition editor, you can resize and move partitions around. Download the LiveCD, burn to CD and boot from it. You can then resize a partition to give you the 20Gb you are looking for.

Two things to bear in mind :-

1. Take a backup of all your data beforehand, just in case.
    2. For Linux, you will need a system partition (for the OS), a swap partition (for virtual memory) and a writeable data partition (for user data). Seeing as you have two already, you will have five in total, which may be a problem. Can't remember the details, but there might be a limit to the total number of partitions a disk can hold. Better Google first to check.

Good luck!

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

One word: iPartition

Or if your really good, I think you can partition the drive using the command line interface. Don't know how to do that though.

9. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I had a lot of troubles with ipartition. While on the shrinking phase of an operation, it froze and I lost everything on my external drive. Use at your own risk.