Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RangerRosie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
So, I'm going to make this as clear and understandable as I can, so bear with me.

My friend bought me a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for my birthday, (I bought him an Xbox) and I decided yesterday would be the time to bootcamp my MacBook Pro 15 i7. So I start the partition process and Windows 7 sparks up like a charm. After an hour or two of using it, I decide I wanted to sell the copy to my dad, buy the OEM version, and have some spare cash. (I was still on my 30 day activation period.) So, I boot into OSX wrongly enter Disk Utility and remove my 100 gb partition. I assume all is well, and proceed with doing the internet. (lol) Well, I opened up my Finder and see that my once 386 gb of free space is down to 283 gb. This was followed by a loud WTF and a quick attempt to find the source. As you can probably tell, I couldn't find it. So I started up BootCamp to try and delete the partition from there, but no dice. It prompted me to choose a partition size, so I chose 100 gb again, but this time I was told that "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." What to do? I would prefer not to drive 2 hours to my local Apple store. Thank you guys for the help!

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
you deleted the windows partition in disk utility just fine, but you didn't resize your OS X partition again. just go back into disk utility and drag the partition larger and click apply :)

RangerRosie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
you deleted the windows partition in disk utility just fine, but you didn't resize your OS X partition again. just go back into disk utility and drag the partition larger and click apply :)

I did that, and it is saying I have 419 free gb of space, but finder is giving me 100 less than that. Also, BootCamp will not let me put my new copy on. :confused:

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
perhaps an image is better
expandpart500x414.jpg

RangerRosie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
perhaps an image is better
expandpart500x414.jpg

There ya go, I attached my screenshot. I understand perfectly what you are telling me, but I am getting two different results between Finder and DiskUtility.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 4.53.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 4.53.09 PM.png
    251.9 KB · Views: 79

RangerRosie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
hmmmmm, what happens if you copy a few GB of files?
oh and better do a disk verify just to be safe.

Well it looks to me like I found a problem...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 7.29.54 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 7.29.54 PM.png
    504.1 KB · Views: 64

RangerRosie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
well there we go, corrupt header. just boot form the osx disc and repair it, ill be looking forward to hear if this fixes it.

Well, I decided to just wipe and start over, for some odd reason I like to do that :) I had nothing important anyway lol. Thank you for the help, but next comes my attempt at BootCamp, I will keep you posted on that too. Thanks again!:D

RangerRosie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Well, I decided to just wipe and start over, for some odd reason I like to do that :) I had nothing important anyway lol. Thank you for the help, but next comes my attempt at BootCamp, I will keep you posted on that too. Thanks again!:D

Alright, so I've had Windows 7 up and running nice for about a month, and I love it. Thanks Guys! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.