Partition XP on MAC...plz reply soon

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sunilojha2kn, Apr 14, 2008.

1. sunilojha2kn macrumors newbie

Hi all, Well i have installed XP on MACBOOK PRO and its running fine. But in XP i have only one drive of 120 gb and i want it to partition into three drives C: D: and E: drive of 40 gb each. For this i tried to install Partition Magic 8 but it isn't starting and it is giving the following error:-

"Error 117: "Partition's drive letter cannot be identified"

and I even tried Acronis Disk Director and it is giving the error :-

"Unsupported hard diskdrives. Acronis Disk Director does not support windows on dynamic disks, EZ-Drives etc. ".

So please give me any solution to partition drives in XP. Thanks in advance.

2. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I don't know if this actually works, but have you tried disk utility in OS X and try to do it from there? Also, I think Windows usually makes your CD/DVD drive Drive D...so it might not be able to change it. If you don't mind me asking, why do you need so many partitions?

3. sunilojha2kn thread starter macrumors newbie

Acutally, I have always been an avid windows user and my current desktop has similar partition C, D & E. but here I only have C. so in case I have to format Windows atleast I will be able to store my Data to a different drive and do what ever I want to on C.

Here the only thing I know is start everything from scratch and divide partitions using boot camp but here I don't want to repeat all the things.

Partition software just failed on it, so is there any way I can do that I want. Thanks in advance

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I'd take Wgillies advice and use Disk Utility to partition the drives how you want.

5. peterlobl macrumors regular

diskpart.exe is built into all windows xp/vista... kind of like dos fdisk but more powerful... not sure if u want to go this route, but if u do, here's some info on resetting partitions

http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1241594,00.html#

searching diskpart might help as well - also - using ntfs (as opposed to fat32)will speed up partition use under windows, but will make your volumes read-only (mostly!) under OSX - I like that, as you can copy over info into mac enviro and not change it (which is why you have a mac I imagine)

good luck!