Partition?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillEH, Jan 12, 2012.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

https://skitch.com/willehrandom/g2eb4/toshiba-mk7559gsxf-media

I'm having issues making my Mac Partition bigger, I had to delete my old one as Apple recommended this due to battery draining. It's all okay with the new partition, but both circled in the pictures I can't combine them with the Macinstosh HD, and Disk04, I can't even delete.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

W

2. simsaladimbamba

3. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Thanks for the reply, the Apple Genius said it would be pretty straight forward to just use the new partition. Any other way of doing it? or do I have to do as you've said.

Thanks,

W

4. simsaladimbamba

Your partition setup is as follows:
    [​IMG]
    While I don't understand, how Macintosh HD could end up as partition 3, for Disk Utility to succeed with merging the partitions, Macintosh HD should be partition 1.
    Thus the data of Macintosh HD is located on the outer areas of the HDD's platter(s), while it needs to be on the inner area of the HDD's platter(s) for Disk Utility to succeed merging all three partitions. Partitions 1 and 2 can be merged (to partition 12), but you can't merge partition 1, 2 and 3, or partition 12 and 3.

For you to have Macintosh HD in partition 1 "space" you need to clone the Macintosh HD partition to an external HDD, and then boot from it, delete the internal HDD and format it correctly, and then clone it back.
    There is hardly any downtime, as you can use your Mac during cloning. If you lack an external HDD, you can use for this, you either need to buy a small external 2.5" HDD connected via USB, from the screenshot it looks like 150 to 200 GB should suffice, or you can just merge partition 1 and 2 and let partition 3 as it is.

5. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Thanks

6. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Possible I can put he copy on my time machine?

7. simsaladimbamba

Yes, but don't use Finder to copy the contents, use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy onto the external HDD.
    With CCC make sure, to set it not to delete the data on the external HDD.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Last question, how do I choose time capsule as the back up? I go to choose, and just choose my time capsule > Data> then OK? and it comes up as "BackUp" in the destination.

9. simsaladimbamba

You have a Time Capsule? Then cloning will not work. If you only have a TC as backup drive, then run Time Machine to back everything up, and then insert the grey Restore DVD (for any Mac OS X version below 10.7) and erase the HDD properly (guide in post #2), then do a restore from Time Machine and wait.
    That will take a while, depending on the size of your backup. Your Mac will not be usable during that time.

Time Machine FAQ - 14. How do I restore my entire system?

10. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I'm just going to back up all my stuff, and erase everything, and start again..

11. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Hey, I'm trying to unmount my Disk04 one in the pic, but it won't let me? any idea. Just says can't unmount disk when I'm in recovery HD. Just trying to make it all in to 1 partition now. Thanks :)

12. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean the middle partition called DISK0S4?
    [​IMG]
    Can't you select "1 partition" from the Volume Scheme drop down list, like shown in the guide I linked to in my first post?
    That should take care of that. You also don't need to unmount anything.

13. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Yes, I did that, 1 partiton, but it says it can't unmount/delete that DISK04. DISK04 was made by the Apple genius, if that helps.

14. simsaladimbamba

What happens if you just try the ERASE tab while you selected the actual HDD (750.16 GB TOSHIBA MK)?

15. WillEH, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

All greyed out. :confused:

I managed to delete Disk04, and I only have macintosh HD (250gb) but it now seems I can't make 1 partition, keeps saying it can't unmount.