Partition?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drummer22, Mar 5, 2009.

1. drummer22 macrumors newbie

Alrighty, I have a stupid question for yall.... I am running Vmware Fusion with XP Pro.

I thought I knew what a partition was, but the more I read about bootcamp, parallels, fusion, etc... the more confused I get. What is the technical definition of a partition? What is the setup that I have?

Also, I read things like "using Vmware in the bootcamp partition" or something like that. What does that mean?! I thought the point of Vmware was so that you didnt have to use Bootcamp. But yet they can work simultaneously?!

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

You currently have 2 partitions 1 for Mac OS X and one for Windows, a VM can use either your Windows partition or a virtual OS, the only way to access the virtual OS is through a VM, while your windows partition can be accessed through either Bootcamp or a VM

4. drummer22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I like the thought of being able to use Vmware to boot up boot camp. How should I go about installing this? Keep in mind I already have a Windows Virtual Machine... Im thinking that I install boot camp, and then import this into Vmware?.... And then I would I have the first VM and the boot camp partition as options when I open up Vmware?

This just seems like a lot of hard drive being taken up.... The first VM already takes up 4 GB. What do yall recommend?

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Yes you would use bootcamp to partition your hard drive and start installing windows, then you would point VMware to the Windows partition (remember bootcamp is just a utility for partitioning and installing Windows) If you think 4GB is a lot for your VM you need about 20GB for your Windows partition if you're using XP, more if you're using Vista.

I use Parallels so I haven't used VMware, but yes you should be able to select either your Windows partition or your VM.