Partitioned Hard drive on mac (via disk utility) wont read in windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sportsfreak, Aug 30, 2009.

1. sportsfreak macrumors member

PROBLEM SLOVED-thanks

I just recently bought my first macbook pro. I had a 500 GB WD elite passport drive. I partitioned it to Mac os extended (journaled)- for time machine and FAT for windows and mac file transfer and storage. I used disk utility to partition the drive.

These two drives are detected in my mac, however when i plug in the external drive into my windows- no pop up appears telling me to open files. So i go into my computer and click on the (F) drive in my case. Windows vista then proceeds to tell me the drive must be formatted before it can be used.

What problem do i have. All i want is 2 partitions one for time machine and another that will allow for data transfer and storage. I have looked but cannot seem to find and answer.

PS- a side not, i have a 160 gb hard drive, what amount of space do you recommend for the time machine partition.

Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You'll have to redo the partitioning process to have Windows read the drive at all. If there's anything on the partitions now, back it up. Now:

1. Open Disk Utility.
    2. Select the drive in the left-hand list.
    3. Click Partition.
    4. Under Volume Scheme, select 2 Partitions.
    5. Click Options and select Master Boot Record.

You obviously know where to go from there since you've already done it once before.

3. sportsfreak thread starter macrumors member

I have tried that but i am still having the same problem.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

So it says the drive is using MBR now?

Attached Files:

5. sportsfreak thread starter macrumors member

Thanks- I have fixed the problem- it seems to have been an anomaly- as soon as i tried the next day it worked like a charm- thanks for the help.