Partitioned HDD problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by margauxschreurs, Jun 20, 2008.

1. margauxschreurs macrumors newbie

Hi,

This is my first time posting, hope it's in the right forum.

I have a partitioned harddrive on my MacBook, and both sides have 80GB, as far as I'm concerned. (I did not do this myself, it was done in the shop)
    Now, however, my Mac side is running out of space, and my Windows side is, of course, read-only.

Can anyone advise me what to do? I was thinking either change the GB on both, which I think is impossible, but I may be wrong, or how can I move files from Mac into the Windows side?

Thanks

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

1. WinClone the Windows side
    2. Launch Boot Camp Assistant, Restore the HDD to a single partition.
    3. From Boot Camp Assistant, recreate the Windows partition to the desired size.
    4. Restore the WinClone image to the new Windows partition.

3. margauxschreurs thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks.. but that would delete everything, including all software from the windows side, right? Isn't there an easier option?

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yes & no,it does delete windows by restoring the partition but you made a clone using winclone

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That is the easy option. You cannot dynamically resize the Windows partition, so the only method is destructive. but only to the Windows partition (the Mac partition will be just fine through all of this). That's why you use WinClone (it's a Mac app, not a Windows app). The Windows OS, all your apps, every file, preference, and registry entry is restored perfectly. I've been through that process a couple times. It'll blow a few hours of your day, but you'll be fine as long as you let it do its job.