partitioned too much... regrets

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 88888888, Jul 1, 2008.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

what can i do.. ><? i dont remember. i partitioned 65gb for bootcamp but i think i did too much, what can i do? reinstall everything? :eek:

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

In a nutshell, yes. In Boot Camp Assistant you can restore the drive to a single partition--nondestructively to the Mac partition--and automatically reallocate that space to the Mac, then rebuild a Boot Camp partition to a size more appropriate.

4. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh so i can use boot camp assistant and just destroy the window's partition. None of my mac portion will be deleted..right? im just gonna reinstall my stuff from my windows partition.
    P.S. for vista and window's office i don't need a new registration/activation code.. right? :confused:

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

you won't need a new registration code, but you will have to enter the codes again. the product activation should be the same, as the hardware won't have changed between installs (one of the common reasons you need a new activation code.)

basically you're starting your windows install from scratch, but on a smaller partition!

6. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

I used WinClone to save my current Windows setup. I then resized my partition with Boot-Camp and then restored the cloned copy without having to reinstall or reregister anything.

http://twocanoes.com/winclone/

7. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't need to save anything from my windows partition so i think im good. :cool:

8. tongzilla macrumors newbie

I'm just curious - would this work the other way around? So if I don't have enough space on my Windows partition, can I use the extra space I have on my Mac partition (without losing any stuff on both sides of course)?

9. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

I'm kind of wishing I'd partioned more too... Orange Box takes more room than I thought it would.