Partitioning 1TB HDD - what to use or not

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mitaka27, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Mitaka27 macrumors newbie

I am new to the Mac world. I have search the net and here but haven't been able to find a suitable answer to my question as yet.

I have a brand new 27inch iMac with a 1 TB HDD which I want to partition in order to store graphics (photos and the like), movies and music on. I am also considering installing Windows7 if I can't get Codeweavers Crossover Mac Pro working in order to bring over some of my old Windows programs. I have tried iPartition 3 2 0 but without much luck. I leave the bootable DVD in the drive and press "C" on boot but it just seems to freeze. I haven't tried placing the image on an external USB HDD as yet because I am not confident as yet as to what I am doing with the mac.

My questions are:

1. Should I be partitioning an iMac in the first place in order to store such data?
    2. If I do partition, then what software do you recommend?

Your help or advice would certainly be appreciated.

Mitaka27

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Mac's built in disk partitioner is pretty good,but I would personally use Gparted.

3. Mitaka27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. Will a GParted boot disk work on a SATA drive? And will I still need to use the "C" key on boot up? At the moment the installed iPartition soft says that I can't format from within the partition. I am not sure about the "built in disk partitioner" utility as I have never used it before. I have always used Hiren's Boot CD in Windows for this function. :)

Once again thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

Mitaka27

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Boot iMac from Install DVD (key "c" on boot up), run Disk Utility (from menu Utilities), select disk and go to tab Partition.

5. MCRunning macrumors 6502

I just use Disk Utility. It gets the job done.

6. Mitaka27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks SpookyLars, that worked. I managed 4 partitions - 3 Partitions. 3 MAC OS and 1 WIN DOS for my Windows. The only problem is that the Win partition is FAT32 and I want NTFS. Any suggestions on how to change that anybody?

Many thanks again.

Mitaka27

Getting to love this Mac though. Cool:D

7. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Select correct file system during Windows installation.