Partitioning a Drobo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mashinhead, Mar 1, 2011.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I just got one, and I want to reserve some space to backup my computer and some to just store media. My question is simple, can I partition a drobo at any time and then disolve the partition at any time? Does it work just like any hard drive attached to a mac? Or do i have to partition it in advance?

2. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

A Drobo appears as an external drive. The difference is, you can format it larger than you have actual space. It will handle everything for you, swapping to larger disks, etc.

You can repartition a Drobo, but remember, just like a regular external drive, you will WIPE OUT the data stored on those partitions!!

3. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

So its better to partition it when i start then? Does it matter how much space I assign to a partition at all?

4. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

I have mine partitioned as a 16 TB HFS+ volume, even though I only have 6 TB of disks in there, which is what Data Robotics recommends.

If you want 2 separate partitions, I believe you can make a 2 TB partition, then add another drive, and it will create more room for you. It's been a while since I did it, so I don't remember for certain.

You might want to ask over at www.drobospace.com as that forum is focused on Drobo specifically.