Partitioning a Startup Disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by untypoed, Jun 24, 2010.

1. untypoed macrumors member

untypoed

I've been looking through Google for help on this but I'm really failing. I've been wanting to partition my startup disc on my Emac (which is running Tiger) so I can have a Panther partition and a Tiger partition. I have many reasons for doing so, but I don't really want to go through that right now. I tried going to Disk Utility, but apparently, the startup disk cant be partitioned while I'm on it. I'm a new mac user, so I am having difficulty figuring out how to partition my 40GB harddrive to have one 10GB volume that Panther can go to. From what I hear, I have to partition using an OSX disc, and then reinstall Tiger and then I can install Panther. That sounds ridiculous to me. Please tell me there's a simpler way. I really dont want to go through reinstalling Tiger again.

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i think you need to buy a program called "iPartiton" then to avoid reinstalling osx

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, as you need to rewrite the partition table, and that can't be done that easily. Unless you buy a re-partioning program like iPartition.

Use the gray restore DVD from your eMac and boot from it via holding down C and then start the Disk Utility to partition the HDD to your linking. Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a bootable backup of your Tiger installation onto an external HDD and after the partitioning is done, use that software again to clone the contents back. But with a PPC Mac, you need a Firewire HDD or Firewire enclosure to be able to boot from the external clone.

Btw, partitioning will delete all your data.

Disk Utility Guide - five pages, read them if you want to sue it.

Btw 2, if your eMac came with Tiger, you can't install Panther on it, as Macs can't get an OS version installed that is older than the version they came out with. So no Mac OS X 10.4.3 on an eMac that came with Mac OS X 10.4.8.

MRoogle can also give you some information on the partitioning and installing issue.