Partitioning a Time Machine HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tumbleweed666, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I have a 1TB external HD dedicated to TM. As it turns out, I am using much less space on this disk than I though so I could realistically split the disk, perhaps 50/50. If I use disk utility to repartition the disk, can that be done non destructively so the existing single TM partition remains unaffected?
    If not what would the recommended procedure be to retain my existing TM backups? I have plenty of space on my internal disk to copy the TM data there if I need to copy it off before reformatting. But will TM recognise the data if I copied it from one disk to an internal and back again?

2. osin macrumors 6502

Yes, you can do non-destructive partitioning in Disk Utility. I did the same thing over the weekend but DU has some kind problem with larger disks and I couldn't get partition 50/50. I was testing it with 420 GB of data and did even 4 different partitions and data is still there.

Just click on the + sign bellow the partition table, do not use schemes for partitioning the drive. You should see summary that one partition will be resized and the other will be created. No data will be erased...

3. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, its a 1TB drive so Ill see what DU can do.