Partitioning an external hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SMargaret, Jul 23, 2012.

1. SMargaret macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 1TB external hard drive for my macbook pro.

Please would someone kindly explain how I can partition this hard drive?

I want to have 2 spaces on it. One to store my iTunes and one to store my iPhoto.

At the moment this hard drive has my iPhoto library on it. Do I need to wipe this hard drive in order to partition it, does it have to be empty? Or is there a way of creating the partitions putting all the existing data into one partition?

Many thanks,

S

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Open disk utility (Applications --> Utilities or cmd+space and type Disk Utility, click it in spotlight).

Select the external hard drive itself (not the partition) in the left pane and then click on the Partition tab on the right pane. Click the plus button, set the size of the partition by dragging the bar around around or by entering the value into the Size text box. Click Apply, confirm.

Do note though that repartitioning a hard drive with existing data is a risky business. It works 99% of the time and may not work occasionally resulting in data loss.

3. ljx718 macrumors 6502

why do you have to partition the hard drive? if its all the same format, just keep it the same and create another folder.