Partitioning an external HD using terminal command

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Pmccswim, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Pmccswim macrumors newbie

I read in a book that I can create three partitions on a drive using this terminal command:

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 220g "MS-DOS FAT32" Data 12g \ "MS-DOS FAT32" Windows 0b.

This is supposed to create three partions: one of 220g for running Mac OS, one of 12g for a partition that can be read\written to by both Mac OS and Windows 7, and finally, a partition for the Windows 7 OS. But after I hit return, I get the message:

"MS-DOS FAT32 does not appear to be a valid file system format" Then is says to use diskutil listFilesystems to view supported file systems; however, MS-DOS FAT32 is listed there.

I'm using version 10.6.8. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

From the man page:

Code:
    resizeVolume device size [numberOfPartitions] [part1Format part1Name
                    part1Size part2Format part2Name part2Size part3Format
                    part3Name part3Size ...]

You seem to be missing the numberOfPartitions and everything else is out of order. Also, /dev/disk0s2 refers to your internal drive, partition #3 (which would usually be the Boot Camp partition, yet you say you are trying to do this on an external. :confused:

Code:
    Format names are of the form HFS+, MS-DOS, etc.; a
                              list of formatable filesystems and common aliases is
                              available from the [B]listFilesystems[/B] verb.
    so try
    Code:
    diskutil listFilesystems
    to see what your system expects.

I would expect:

Code:
    sudo diskutil resizeVolume [B]device[/B] 2 "MS-DOS FAT32" Data 220g "MS-DOS FAT32" Data 12g
    to be more appropriate, but make sure you understand what to put in as device.

B

3. Pmccswim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks, I will try that.

4. Pmccswim thread starter macrumors newbie