Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
I recently bought a 250 gig LaCie external Harddrie. It's great. So I wanted to partition it into 2 drives- one of 30 gigs in FAT 32 for Windows and the rest (200 or so) into standard HFS+ format. I used the silverlining software it came with, and even had to run OS9 to do so. After 11 hours of formatting it seems ok in OS9. But in OSX it only shows up as one 33 gig MS DOS harddrive. Where did the other partition and 200 gigs go??
https://forums.macrumors.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=1#
I don't know how I can make OSX recognize the second drive/partition. If I can't can I use disk utility to format one of the partitions in FAT 32 and the other in HFS?? On the disk utility window the three format options are "Mac OS Extended", "Unix File System", and "Free Space" I don't know what any of these are! Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....Hmmm...without having tried anything like that I should think that it should work. 11 hours to format? what if you use OS X Disk Utility to partition and format the HFS+ partition, then switch over to OS 9 and use the other util to format the other partition as Fat32? Or, format *both* as HFS+ in OS X, then go to OS 9 and reformat the one you want to Fat32....give that a try......oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.