Partitioning an External

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kicks66, Aug 26, 2009.

1. kicks66 macrumors newbie

Im currently sorting myself out for Snow Leopard. I have an external hard drive i want to back some stuff up on to.

The external currently has 3 partitions, all partitioned as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I want to keep Partition 1 the same with all its data. Partition 2 and 3 i want to merge into one larger partition, and i dont mind losing data on these two.

Ive tried using disk utility, but in the section where id add/delete partitions, the plus/minus buttons are greyed out. This is the same when running of the OSX install disk as well.

Any suggestions?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

They are grayed out? Try and click on a partition first ;)

3. kicks66 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Same thing happens if theyre unmounted as well.

4. helix21 macrumors regular

noobish question but how did you take such a crisp screenshot of the windows with the shadow?

5. kicks66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Command+Shift+4+Space+Click Window.

6. Maccleduff macrumors regular

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Are you trying to merge the information on 2 partitions into one? If so, this is impossible with Disk Utility, I don't know of a partition utility that CAN do this.

If you're just looking to create a new partition on top of that space, format the 2nd and 3rd part. then try to merge.

8. kicks66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im looking to create a partition on top f the space. Ive formatted both drives, but what do i do to merge them? The screenshot above shows how i think youre meant to do it, but as you can see the plus/minus signs are greyed out.

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Try formatting the partitions that you want to merge again but with Extended Journalled.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

10. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

Try using Disk Utility from your Leopard Install disc. It shouldn't make a difference, because it's not an internal HD, but you never know.

11. kicks66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive tried both of these, to no avail :(