Partitioning Error with Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by samarei, Jan 15, 2010.

1. samarei macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I know this question has probably been answered somewhere, but I can't seem to find anything quite like my situation.

I'm resizing the Windows partition on a 2.2GHz 15" Macbook Pro. I deleted the partition using Boot Camp, but when I went back to repartition it, I get the error that states:

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. - Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume ..."

However, according to Disk Utility, there's only one partition on the drive, and it's correctly formatted. I'm not missing any hard drive space or anything. Is there any way to fix this without going through the hassle of reformatting my hard drive?

Thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You have the space, but it is not contiguous (all together)

Some (not all) have had success with iDefrag, to get the space together

Others have cloned their system with something like Carbon Copy Cloner, erased the HDD and cloned back

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. samarei thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up cloning my system to an external drive with SuperDuper!, erasing the hard drive, then cloning back. It was much easier than I expected.

Thanks for your help!

4. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I am using a brand new MacBook with a fresh clean install and am still getting this error (less than 5 hours out of the box). I have run iDefrag (twice) and still get the error. I have 200+gb free. I'm frustrated that the installer doesn't work on a brand new machine.

I'm unable to clone to an external drive. Any suggestions? I see no reason why this should not be working :(

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How large a Windows partition are you trying to create? Is there some smaller size that will work?

B

6. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I originally tried a 30gb but went down to 10gb just to see if it would work. Is there any free software to create the partition while keeping my original volume's data intact?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

10 GB won't be enough for W7. So you definitely need to find a workaround.

You could try Paragon CampTune. It's meant to resize Boot Camp partitions, but it should work.

You could also just try and resize your OS X partition yourself in Disk Utility and make the FAT32 placeholder partition for Windows manually.

B

8. psxtreme macrumors member

I had a similar issue where I defragged my machine and then the bootcamp partitioner wouldn't work properly. What I ended up doing was booting off the Snow Leopard CD and running disk utilities from there, I first had to hit "Repair Disk" and there was some error that it corrected. Then I was able to resize the partition manually and create a new one for windows and now I got windows 7 working no problem.