Partitioning External Drive for Mac and Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aznxternityd, Dec 2, 2008.

1. aznxternityd macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2008
    Hi guys, I just bought a external hard drive and would like to know how to partition the drive so I can use it on both my Windows and Mac.
  2. G-Com macrumors regular

May 21, 2008
    North of The 'Nati
    Disk Utility can do it for OS X. As far as Windows... Boot Camp maybe?
  3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

Dec 18, 2007
    (Central) NY State of mind
    Use OS X Disk Utility to make it one big FAT partition...both OS X and Windows will be able to read/write to it.
  4. vinnyemmery macrumors member

May 5, 2008
    as long as the files are no bigger than 4gb thats the max that fat32 can hold,i have just got a 1tb my book studio and was thinking maybe making 2 500gb partitions 1 for osx and 1 for windows nfts as im running vista 64bit in bootcamp and want to play games from the windows ext hard drive partition (hopefully)
  5. Jozone macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2007
    Options include:
    -Half HFS/Half FAT32 (would address 4gb file limits on Mac Side) -- cross compatibility with the FAT32
    -All HFS (use MacDrive for Windows to access HFS Volumes -- $$)
    -All NTFS (use to gain write access in OS X -- I've never tried it, but apparently its been stable for the last year)
  6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    NTFS is arguably the most useful in a cross-platform scenario, but even Paragon is not exactly fast (at least not to me, but it's what I buy for my Macs which have the possibility of Windows external storage swappage). Still, worth considering.