Partitioning External Drive for Mac and Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aznxternityd, Dec 2, 2008.

1. aznxternityd macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I just bought a external hard drive and would like to know how to partition the drive so I can use it on both my Windows and Mac.

2. G-Com macrumors regular

Disk Utility can do it for OS X. As far as Windows... Boot Camp maybe?

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Use OS X Disk Utility to make it one big FAT partition...both OS X and Windows will be able to read/write to it.

4. vinnyemmery macrumors member

as long as the files are no bigger than 4gb thats the max that fat32 can hold,i have just got a 1tb my book studio and was thinking maybe making 2 500gb partitions 1 for osx and 1 for windows nfts as im running vista 64bit in bootcamp and want to play games from the windows ext hard drive partition (hopefully)

5. Jozone macrumors 6502

Options include:
    -Half HFS/Half FAT32 (would address 4gb file limits on Mac Side) -- cross compatibility with the FAT32
    -All HFS (use MacDrive for Windows to access HFS Volumes -- $$)
    -All NTFS (use http://www.ntfs-3g.org/ to gain write access in OS X -- I've never tried it, but apparently its been stable for the last year)

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

NTFS is arguably the most useful in a cross-platform scenario, but even Paragon is not exactly fast (at least not to me, but it's what I buy for my Macs which have the possibility of Windows external storage swappage). Still, worth considering.