Partitioning external drive for Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LukeJ, Nov 6, 2007.

1. LukeJ macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro Core Duo running Windows XP via Boot Camp off a 500 GB USB 2.0 external hard drive. (For those of you who don't know, this is indeed possible if you modify some installation files and burn another disc.) I just installed Leopard (clean, from-scratch install) this afternoon.

I currently have the entire external disk partitioned as NTFS for use by Windows. However, I would like to repartition it so I have a 100 GB Mac OS X partition for use by Time Machine with the rest available to XP. Is it possible to do this without needing to wipe the entire drive and start from scratch? I have Partition Magic at my disposal should I need to use it on the Windows side, but it only creates FAT, NTFS and Linux partitions. I'm hoping I can get something set up using a combination of PM and Disk Utility. If not, is there a Mac partitioning program that could accomplish this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. LukeJ thread starter macrumors newbie

All good

I used Partition Magic to split my drive into equal NTFS and Linux partitions. Disk Utility saw the Linux one and I formatted it, and once I did, Time Machine immediately asked if I wanted to use the partition for backups. It's working like a charm.

3. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Care to share how you got Windows to boot off your External HD?

4. borjam1981 macrumors member

NTFS partition problem

Hello
    iñve configurate a ntfs partition from windows and write some file, the problem is that when i try to write in this parttion from mac is impossible but i can read the files. what´s wrong?

Borja