Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
hello everyone,
i am posting this here because video editiors and animators i think might be here.

i just got a second WD My Book Pro. I am planning to use the old one as a bin for my backups and other stuff and dedicate the second one for video editing and animation

i excercise Avid editing as a hobby and do After Effects a lot.
i want to use both Tiger and XP

so, do u advice my to partition the second drive to 1 HFS+ and 1 NTFS partitions. will this affect the speeds due to partitioning.

or
format one drive as HFS+ and the second as NTFS. In this case, i will be using both drives for backups normal storage, will this affect the speeds?

i want to go for the first one as i only have only one FW800 port on my iMac and i dont like switching cables.

thanks.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
yeah, the imac has nothing to do with it, i am asking those dealing with video editing and external drives, they are more likey to be here. Just they didnt turn up. :(

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Why not daisy-chain the devices? You can do that with Firewire. Just plug the second drive into the first one, then partition as you like.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Why not daisy-chain the devices? You can do that with Firewire. Just plug the second drive into the first one, then partition as you like.

i have said it, pros are here.

thanks for the tip, i am now able to access both drives with my FW800 port. That adds a lot.

and i guess this is the solution, i have formated one as NTFS and one as HFS+.

now i dont have to worry about removing cables very frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.