Partitioning External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilotkid, Nov 4, 2007.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Hey guys hows it going? I have a external hd (Lacie 160gb) that I would like to partition, I would like to make one partition 80-100gb and the other one the remainder. I'm mainly doing this because I dont want time machine to use up all of my external hd, I would like to have some space available for movies, music, photos, that kind of stuff. How can I go about doing this, is there a program that someone can recommend? Thanks for your responses!

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

<User Name> - Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility. Use that application built into your Mac to take partition off your drive for you. Very easy to use. Just follow the instructions on screen.

3. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, thats easy enough! Now i've made my partitions and there is a option that says "Choose a partition scheme" there are three options. 1. GUID Partition Table. 2. Apple Partition Map. 3. Master Boot Record. Now, the last one (#3) says "to use with devices that require a DOS-compatible or Windows-compatible partition" I have a Windows based HP, if I ever want to store any files on my external HD do I need to choose the 3rd option?
    *Awaiting a response before I click apply!:D

4. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

I've taken my external from Mac to PC and back using the Apple Partition Map...so I don't know how 'necessary' #3 is.

5. tluna3 macrumors newbie

i have a question also. i have selected two partitions. one for music, movies, pictures, documents, and one for the back up. its a 250 gb lacie harddrive and i cant get it to show up on a windows pc. it is recognized on my macbook, but not on my pc. help please!