Partitioning external HD after first use

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakee.stoltz, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jakee.stoltz macrumors newbie

I'd like to partition my external HD into two parts: one for Time Machine and one for storing photos and other files so I can free up some space on my internal HD.

I've been using it out of the box for Time Machine for about a month now. I'm just wondering if I can partition it as it is with the backups on it already or do I have to wipe it clean, partition it, then start over with Time Machine? I would just like a 200 GB partition for Time Machine and the rest for storing data.

Also, Disk Utility is a little confusing. It has my external HD in there and then there is a "sub drive" (not sure the technical name.. sorry) under that? That's just drive that Time Machine made more or less? And every time I partition it, there will be a "sub drive" for each partition?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My suggestion is to "wipe the drive clean" with Disk Utility, partition it, and "start over".

However, I strongly suggest that you consider using CarbonCopyCloner instead of Time Machine as your backup application.

CCC will create a true "clone" of the internal drive. The files on it will be in POFF (plain old finder format), immediately visible and accessible. Most importantly, the backup will be BOOTABLE (Time Machine backups are not bootable). In a moment of need, when something is wrong with your internal drive, you can just boot from the backup and get to work on the internal, diagnosing and repairing it.

Even when you wish to do a routine "scan and repair" of the internal drive using Disk Utility, you need to "boot externally". Again, having a second bootable drive is very useful.

I suggest you "set aside" TM for a while, and use CCC for a short time, to get a feel for what it does. Upon comparison, I believe you'll see that it's a superior tool to TM for most Mac user backup needs.